Friday, May 16, 2014

Chemo Week 3 Update OR Uggghhhhhh

At this point, during my first round, I was going on about what a badass I must be. So few side effects. So little down time.

A week into my second round and I'm already dreading the third. This dose saw me lose my hair, suffer through two solid days of malaise and nausea bad enough that I literally could not get out of bed, then several days of fatigue and lightheadedness. I'm losing weight (which normally I'd be down with at the beginning of summer, but is generally frowned upon in cancer patients), I'm having trouble falling asleep, and then I have anxiety dreams almost every night.

Today is the first day I feel like I have the strength and the motivation to get up and out. Like a rubber band, I'm snapping into action. Today I'm going to take the cat to the vet, hit the laundromat, clean up around the place, get my bike fixed, then check out some of this Bayou Boogaloo festival (I really just want another cochon de lait poboy).

I'm gonna have to do all that alone cus, while I write my piddling blog posts, my partner in crime is writing (revising) the Great American Novel. He's supportive of me by doing everything while I lay in bed. I'm supportive of him by putting in earbuds while I watch anime all day. We're gonna do some camping up by Black Creek in Mississippi this weekend, though. I'm really looking forward to getting out of town for a bit.

So it's a mixed bag. It looks like basically the entire week after an infusion is shot. But, I only have two more infusions of this particular drug. My mother will be here for the one next week. Her visit is really the only thing keeping me from raw panic. I like that things are moving along and I'm finally getting the treatment I need. But chemo really is the pits.

No comments:

Post a Comment