Monday, May 19, 2014

Recuperation

This second round of chemo was definitely rougher than the first. I was out of commission for an entire week. I've been trying to figure out why, when the first time around was such a breeze.

Most women on chemo stop having their period. This phenomenon has lovingly been termed "chemopause". I haven't talked a lot about the possibility of damage to my ovaries and a complete loss of fertility. Or the fact that if my genetic tests come back a certain way, my doctors will suggest having my ovaries removed altogether. I can't face that part of reality right now. And chemopause is usually temporary.

But it hasn't started for me, yet. I got my period normal and on schedule. I think that's what did it. Because of chemo, I'm already anemic. I think that the extra days of bedridden-ness came from the combo of anemia and menstruation.

Thus ends the over-sharing portion of today's post. I've felt pretty great since Friday. I bought a dope bike basket and tooled around town on the silver cruiser my guy handed down to me. We checked out some of Bayou Boogaloo. We even rode bikes to a bar. We actually ended up kind of wasted, which obviously isn't something I should do regularly in my condition, but I can't tell you how fun it was after months of moderate drinking.

We had plans to check out Cypress Creek Landing's campsite in Desoto National Forest in Mississippi on Saturday, but both slept in because of the aforementioned wastedness. We got there with just a couple of hours of sunlight left, but it was still just what I needed: fresh air, sunshine, dirt, bugs, campfire, and a lovely, lazy creek to look at.
My man and his other lady.
I wanted to take more pictures, but I think my phone killed itself searching for signals in the country. Next time I'll take an actual camera. It's only a 2-hour drive up there so I'm sure we'll check it out a few more times before the summer's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment